Talking to your patients
Here are a few talking points you can use when speaking to patients about colorectal cancer screening:
- Colorectal cancer is the second most deadly form of cancer, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Screening can prevent the cancer or catch it early when it’s highly treatable.
- Most insurance plans cover 100% of the cost of screening with no co-pays or deductibles. Even without insurance, there are low cost, reliable options. Let’s talk about the one that is right for you.
- Make and keep your appointment to be screened.
- Then, talk about your experience and encourage other people you know to be screened too.
The procedure was routine and went well, and then the doctor called me into the procedure room and told me that my husband had a large tumor almost surrounding the sigmoid area of the colon and he needed surgery to remove it immediately. The doctors were able to find the tumor before it spread to any lymph nodes and my husband has had a full recovery. If he hadn’t gone in for his colonoscopy, he probably wouldn’t be with me today.
Colonoscopies save lives. To lose someone to this cancer when it can be identified early is awful and this screening helps our loved ones know about their cancer risks and treatment options early.
Renee Menkens – Roseburg