Talking to your patients
Here are a few talking points you can use when speaking to patients about colorectal cancer screening:
- Colorectal cancer is the second most deadly form of cancer, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Screening can prevent the cancer or catch it early when it’s highly treatable.
- Most insurance plans cover 100% of the cost of screening with no co-pays or deductibles. Even without insurance, there are low cost, reliable options. Let’s talk about the one that is right for you.
- Make and keep your appointment to be screened.
- Then, talk about your experience and encourage other people you know to be screened too.
At age 51, my doctor recommended that I get a colonoscopy. After being diagnosed with a colon cancer tumor at 53, I now get a colonoscopy every two years. Catching this cancer early can save your life and the rewards for getting screened are many.
Linn County, Oregon