Talking to your patients
Here are a few talking points you can use when speaking to patients about colorectal cancer screening:
- Colorectal cancer is the second most deadly form of cancer, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Screening can prevent the cancer or catch it early when it’s highly treatable.
- Most insurance plans cover 100% of the cost of screening with no co-pays or deductibles. Even without insurance, there are low cost, reliable options. Let’s talk about the one that is right for you.
- Make and keep your appointment to be screened.
- Then, talk about your experience and encourage other people you know to be screened too.
I’ve had two screenings for colorectal cancer and, let me tell you, it’s no big deal. I talk up colorectal cancer screening to my friends and family. Sure, we chuckle a bit at some of the details, but we mostly talk about how easy and painless it is. Bringing it up isn’t embarrassing. It’s just one of those great topics you get to discuss when you hit 50.
Mark Gustafson – Astoria (listen to my story on the radio)